Senior Solutions Architect · Project Manager · Contract Programmer
C#/C/C++ · Visual
Basic.NET · Visual Studio.NET · SQL Server · COM · BackOffice
ASP.net · ASP
· VBScript · XML/XSL · IIS · SOAP · WebServices · eCommerce
Windows XP, 2003, 2000,
NT, 98-3.1 · Alpha · VAX · PDP-11
Summary of Qualifications
Exceptional Experience: Over 30 years of professional experience and success in Information Systems and Technology. Experienced in architecture, design, development, and management of successful software products.
Consistent Success: President/CEO of Northwest Digital Software, Inc. since 1979 (25+ years). Responsible for all aspects of business operation, including P&L, marketing, personnel management, and project management.
Proven Results: Architected and managed over 30 successful software development projects, with budgets ranging from $10K to $3.7M.
Consistently produce exceptionally high quality results on schedule and within budget.
Developed three Top-10 products, including WORD-11, RPM, and The LINK. Impeccable, proven track record.
Top industry award winner, including sweeping IACA’s Best of the Web 2001 in every category.
Excellent communications skills bridge the gap between management and developers. Work equally well with Board of Directors of a Fortune 100 company or manager of a small startup.
Popular speaker on three continents. Author of three technical books and dozens of technical articles in several computer industry magazines.
Key position in project architecture, design, development, or management for technically challenging software development projects.
Provide elegant and professional solutions to client
Work with your team or build a team for you to ensure successful
project completion, on time and within budget.
- Tools: Microsoft Visual Studio.NET, .NET Framework (including internals), Microsoft Project, Microsoft FrontPage, Microsoft Source Safe, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook), LLBL, PhotoShop, Paradox, Internet Explorer, Netscape Navigator/Communicator, RoboHELP, RoboHTML, Crystal Reports, Norton Tools, ADO/ODBC/DAO for SQL Server and MS Access database integration
- BackOffice: Internet Information Server (IIS), Microsoft SQL Server (6.5-2000), Microsoft Transaction Server, Microsoft Message Queue Server, Exchange Server, Proxy Server
- Database: Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, ODBC, ADO/DAO, Microsoft Access, OLEDB
- Operating Systems: Windows XP, 2003, 2000, NT, 98-3.1, MS-DOS, OpenVMS, RSTS/E, MacOS
- Platforms: Windows-16/32, Windows DNA, 80x86, Alpha, PDP-11, MC68000, VAX, Macintosh
- Documentation: Created functional, design, and technical specifications, user documentation, and online help for dozens of projects and products.
- Interpersonal: Excellent communications skills provide efficient interface between management and developers.
- URLs: http://www.studentambassadors.org, https://fortress.wa.gov/lni/arts/Menu/MainMenu.asp, http://www.dol.wa.gov/unfc/uccfront.htm, http://www.SayNoToSpam.com, http://www.SweepsWizard.com, http://www.Gateway.com.
- Ambassador Programs, Unified Database: Senior Architect responsible for complete rearchitecture and replacement of all major in-house systems. Ambassador Programs is an educational travel and student exchange organization founded by President Dwight Eisenhower and chaired by every sitting president since that time. This was a high-visibility, mission-critical project with a $3.7M budget. (Ambassador Programs, Inc: 03/03-07/05)
- Washington State, Department of Labor and Industries: Architect and team leader for the ARTS Apprenticeship Registration and Tracking System project. After 15 months of an 18 month project, I was brought in to recover this failing project. In three months, the project was redesigned from scratch and developed within the original schedule using a team I built. The project was delivered within the original deadline under a fixed bid. For more information, see https://fortress.wa.gov/lni/arts/Menu/MainMenu.asp.
(WA Dept. of Labor and Industries: 08/02-11/02)
- Washington State, Department of Licensing, UCC: Architect and team leader for complete re-engineering of all Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) activities. Replaced an IBM mainframe system with an enterprise-level, client/server solution. One of the largest projects in Department of Licensing for 2001. The resulting solution was "better than we ever dreamed", with typical processing times reduced from over two weeks to less than one day. Received IACA's
Best of the Web 2001 award in every category. For more information, see http://www.dol.wa.gov/unfc/uccfront.htm . (WA Dept. of
- Microsoft Home: Showcase home of the future used by
Microsoft to explore home-based technology for the future. Bill Gates
introduced this "home" in a live video feed at
CES in Las Vegas. It is used to highlight Microsoft's vision of future
computing to VIPs in Microsoft's Executive Briefing Center. Responsible for middleware
that provided interface to all hardware in the home by all user interfaces by
making all hardware look like an integrated XML structure. Written in
Today or Yahoo or visit http://www.microsoft.com/mshome.
- SweepsWizard: Client/server program that automatically enters users in
sweepstakes on the Internet. Uses a combination of embedded browser OCX, DHTML, ASP, ODBC,
ASP/VBScript with ADO to Microsoft Access on Windows NT and IIS. Marketed on the Internet
at http://www.SweepsWizard.com. (Professional
- InternetCD: Custom developed tools that allow an Internet web site to be automatically converted to deploy from CD-ROM. Used in place of brochures by leading companies (over 250,000 by Gateway). The tool accesses, parses, and translates web pages as necessary for use from CD-ROM. Written in Microsoft Visual C++. Free samples available upon request. (Northwest Digital: '97-'98)
- Vacation Dreamer USA: Consumer product that helps plan a vacation to anywhere in the USA. Contains information and photos on over 60,000 hotels and attractions. Search engine provides Artificial Intelligence features for finding hotels and attractions based on user-specified criteria. Written in a combination of Visual Basic (for the GUI interface) and Visual C++ (for the backend DLL used for CPU-intensive processing). Designed and laid out four-color packaging.
(Piranha Interactive: '96)
- DCLwindows: OpenVMS program that provided a Windows-style graphic interface to Compaq-Digital’s DCL language used on the VAX and Alpha. Patented technology allows the display of graphic icons on a text based terminal. Also provided multi-session support for OpenVMS users. Written in DEC C.
(Northwest Digital: '93-'94)
- WORD-11/WS-11: The industry-standard program for word processing on DEC VAX/Alpha OpenVMS and PDP-11 RSTS/RSX/RT11. This was a Top-10 program several years in a row and is still in use in many sites after a 25-year life. WORD-11 was originally determined by Compaq-Digital to be impossible to write for the target environment, but has since gone on to generate millions in sales. Written in DEC C and assembly language.
(Data Processing Design: '77-'79)
- The LINK: Provides tightly-coupled multiprocessing for PDP-11 RSTS/E systems. Up to 15 computers can be networked to increase the potential number of users supported from 63 to 945. Written in PDP-11 assembly language. This product was very well received and enjoys a 90% market share. (Northwest Digital: '85-'95)
- RPM: The RSTS Performance Monitor. Artificial Intelligence techniques are used to automatically analyze system performance, identify the cause of problems, and suggest a solution in the form of an easy-to-read report. Problems are identified down to individual system calls within specific programs. This was a Top-10 product. (Northwest Digital: ’89-’95)
Sample Customer List
MicrosoftState of WashingtonAmbassador ProgramsTimes PublishingFord Motor CorporationBritish AerospaceRonald Reagan, President of the United StatesUS House of RepresentativesUS Air Force, US NavyUncle Bens of AustraliaCompaq-DigitalTaj MahalThe United NationsOver 100 others, with no dissatisfied customers
BS Computer Science, cum laude, (minor in Electronics Engineering), University of California,
Masters, Business Administration (incomplete),
University of California, Irvine
Taught computer science at University of California, Irvine and Spokane Community
College, Spokane WA
- Robert Folie
Vice President, Information Technology
Ambassador Programs, Inc.
Dwight D Eisenhower Building
110 S. Ferrall Street
Spokane, WA 99202-4800
509-534-6200 x7402, RobertF@ambassadorsgroup.com
- Brett Brewer
President, Brewer Consulting Services
2417 Pacific Ave. SE
Olympia, WA 98501
- Janie Peterson
Department Manager, WA State Dept. of Licensing
405 Blacklake Blvd. #2,
PO Box 9020, Olympia WA 98507
- Jonathan Cluts
Lead Program Manager, Microsoft Corp.
One Microsoft Way, Redmond WA 98052
- Todd Wallace
Director of Information Systems, Skyhawks Inc.
PO Box 18529, Spokane, WA 99228
- Gary Vowels
Chairman of the Board, CourtLink/DataWest Inc.
400 - 112th Avenue NE, Suite 250, Bellevue, WA 98004
- Mark Derrick
General Manager, HiWAAY Information Services
721 Clinton Avenue #8, PO Box 551, Huntsville, AL 35804
- Additional business and personal references available on
For a version of this résumé that can be accessed from any version
of Microsoft Word or Corel WordPerfect,
download MikeMayfieldResume.doc or MikeMayfieldResume.pdf.